Monday, February 15, 2010

2nd Week of February

Valentines Day


Its quiet this morning no one is awake yet, I love the stillness of everything as the sun breaks over the ridge. The only noises to be heard are outside, as I hear the rooster’s crow as they announce that morning is upon us to the farm. The house itself is quiet and a little cold, not even an ember is left of the evening’s fire. As I put on the mornings coffee I contemplate what the day has for me and take some time out to give thanks to my Lord for the great day that awaits me. It is a beautiful day today with the sun shining and bringing warmth to a cold Colorado, it is only about 21 degrees and this is not too bad for a February winter day in Colorado. It appears we will be blessed with sun for the rest of the week that means we should be able to start planting the greenhouse. I should be able to get in lettuce, greens, carrots, and maybe some Brussels sprouts this week, even with it still freezing those should be fine. I just line the beds with the heating cables for the soil and it raises the temperature a little. That is all the little seedlings need to get started and I cover them with a little agribon and they are good to go. I will uncover them in about a 3-4 weeks and then be presented with the miracles of growing undercover as I raise the covers in March to peek inside.
The chickens, these ladies are still slow in laying they are taking their sweet time to gear back up costing more and more money. What this means is when they usually take 4-6 months of feeding to lay one egg and then you add another 2-3 months in winter of no eggs your profit margin starts to look real thin. We shall see if we even break even this year between the cost of pullets, feed, cartons, and lighting I will be lucky if I do.
Goats will not be kidding until April so that is when our babies are due to arrive on the scene. I went over to my friend Vicki’s at “Weehavano Ranch” and she has new babies, one of her does gave birth to a beautiful male who looks to be the next sire. This beautiful young man is quite the male specimen and his markings are incredible he is going to grow up to be a very handsome buck. I am hoping for mostly females myself but we shall see what we come out with. I am not too sure I am ready to keep a buck and boy do they sure smell to high heaven when they are older.
Well it’s been about 2 weeks now and the website is up and running, it still needs some tweaking and a little cleaning up but all in all it looks great. I am happy with the website company who makes it fairly easy to start it. I managed to get a PayPal cart on there and now people can order our teas and such when they are away, I also added my herd share fees and initial start up on it too. I am trying to make it as convenient for people as possible and also drive a little more traffic to us with a web listing. Right now it is a work in progress and will take me a few more weeks to get it completely finished and looking like I want it. I am trying to place everything from our CSA shares to our pre-orders for hogs on it with access to receive payments on everything. Hopefully this will make bookkeeping a little easier being that it will track all payments on a weekly basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment