Saturday, April 4, 2009

Spring is here!

Wow! It's been a busy week not surprising it's spring. I am at a push to try and get carrots and peas in the ground. I have been working on the front bed all week prepping and preparing the bed. I have installed the new drip system partially and it's up and running. Although this is a pain and tedious it saves time and money in the long run.

Last year all year long I was moving hoses and it was not at all efficient, but this year without the tea room going I have more time. I have been working between storms though which makes it kind of hard. Life of a farmer I guess.

Dad and I finished the fence for the pigs this week. It is only temporary until we can get the one up in the pasture area. I have so much I would like for the to clear in the brush area of the farm so they are going to be serving two purposes this year. Land renewal and food and you can't beat that. I am planning for them to be my little work horses for this years farming plans.

The weather has been so bad lately one day snow, one day wind it makes it hard to lay down weed barrier which I so need. Last year I did not lay down any barrier and the weeds were horendous. So again this year saving time and money not having to hire someone to weed and laying down that barrier should help.

Our farm is on a piece of property we bought that really was never worked. So our first beds we have had to work the soil to be up to par and try and erradicate years worth of weeds. It's an ongoing process that is complicated by this Canadian Thistle and Bind weed that we have such a hard time with. I tell everyone I am surprised the bind weed has not tried to take over the house. I am in hope that with the pigs, chickens, goats, and turkey's I will be able to sustainably and naturally keep the weeds at bay. We are going to try and rotate the pigs in several different paddocks this year so they don't tear anything up too bad. We will be using the goats and next in the cycle will be the pigs and then finish up with the chickens and turkey's. Hopefully this should create some nice planting areas for next year.

I am getting everything for my CSA and classes I am teaching this year ready. I will be posting everything on the community boards throughout town. Hopefully I can get several for the earlier classes on herbs to start this season. I have also been working to get the stuff ready for the agrotourism board. I would love to generate some extra income from farm tours or people visiting and buying. Not having to leave home and still earning money is my ideal life. :)

Sun's coming up and I have lots to do so off to the farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment